Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lady Gag Me is next on the List

For new readers who might not have been following along, about six weeks ago I decided to start a list, in no particular order, of Women We Don't Want Our Daughters to be Like. I don't have a predetermined criteria, but I've attempted to explain for each candidate, what it is that got them a spot on my list of shame.

Let's do a quick recap. Again in no particular order, here's the ladies on the list to date: Snooki, Heidi Montag, Diana Taurasi, Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian. If you're curious about what landed those ladies on my list, you can look through the archives to find those posts.

I don't pay a lot of attention to awards shows nor to reality television. I know, it's all the rage and I'm showing my age. Perhaps. I look at it as a huge waste of time as well as a misrepresentation of what it is that my father and mother taught me about how to be a good person and how to be successful.

Anyway, I know the 53rd annual Grammy Awards were on last week, how could I not. I think all three televisions in my house were tuned to it. It was unavoidable. So even though I made a conscious decision to ignore the proceedings, I happened to walk past one of the televisions as Lady Gag Me was emerging from her egg. Rip off #1. Lady Gag Me claims to have been in the egg for three consecutive days leading up to the Grammy show. Truth is, according to experts, there was only about 30 minutes of breathable air in the egg. So either she has the lungs of a whale or she fabricated the truth a bit.

Second, I mean the whole egg thing is like most of what I've seen of her other performances. Everything is contrived. I hate phonies. It's like she says to herself, "okay, I can't sing and I'm not particularly attractive, so I've got to come up with a gimmick." Doing a knock off of Madonna, I guess, works because her audience isn't old enough to get it. Obviously, it's working because her songs and concerts are huge hits. I wonder what happens, though, when her fans have had enough and say gag me with Gaga.

Then on Sunday, the 13th, she did an interview on 60 Minutes with Anderson Cooper where she said, "I smoke a lot of pot when I write music." Ya Think!? Try telling me something I didn't know. She also claimed to consume large amounts of whiskey when she writes her music. She's doing a disservice to my beverage of choice. If she's drinking whiskey, she's not drinking the good stuff because I know for a fact that good bourbon would produce much better results. But I digress.

Add to that a gem I found when I was doing some research on this (yes, I do actually spend some time uncovering pertinent information before I write about my least favorite women). In an interview on Billboard.com with Bill Werde, Gag Me had the nerve, or stupidity to say this, "Gaga is not manufactured...it is not artificial." Okay, and I'm going to be the next astronaut on the space shuttle after I lead the 76ers to the NBA Championship.

Gag Me's real name by the way, given to her at birth and on her birth certificate, is Stefani Germanotta.

Finally, there is the matter of her performing in a raunchy video for Purple Magazine where she gropes herself, amongst other distasteful acts, while she has a young boy of about 3 or 4 years old on screen with her. The boy's parents should most likely have their rights taken away, but that's another topic. I'm not going to post the link, you can go to YouTube if you're really that curious. I didn't play the video, but I saw some screen shots, and it's not only questionable taste, but it's kind of creepy.

Please feel free to leave me a comment, sign up as a follower, and pass it along to friends and colleagues who have daughters.

P.S. Don't forget to tell your daughter that you love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment