Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Housewives make the List

My Dad used to tell me, "just because someone says something is so, doesn't mean that it is."

For example, if the needle on your compass points North, but someone with you says you're driving South, you have the proof on your compass. If the opponent you're playing golf against hits his ball across the nearby road, it's out of bounds and he's going to lose some strokes. Even if your opponent thinks he can use his 'foot wedge' to get the ball back into play. Rules of golf. If you strike a match on certain surfaces, it will cause a flame that could result in a fire. Simple physics. Or chemistry...Or whatever science governs flames. I was never very good in math or science. But I do know there's a science to prove my point.

Which brings me to this weeks nominees for the list of Women We Don't Want our Daughters to Be Like. I've got to admit that I had a difficult time with this week's cast of characters because there are so many good choices. So instead of selecting one, I decided to have a group entry on the list for this week.

There is a series on Bravo called the Housewives of...you can now fill in that blank with six different choices: Beverly Hills, New Jersey, Atlanta, Orange County, New York City and Miami. If you want to see who else has been on the list so far, I ran an update in last week's post (Lady Gag Me Makes the List, February 24).

As I've stated here before, I'm not a fan of reality television, because, in my opinion, it's not. Like my Dad said,  just because someone says it's so doesn't mean it is. I think reality television is a waste of time, and, to a certain degree, insults my intelligence. But that's a riff for another day.

I don't watch any of these Housewives chronicles, but if you've seen some commercials and some highlights on talk shows, you've basically seen and heard enough. Okay, you're wondering what I'm doing watching Bravo to begin with. You caught me. I'm a foodie. I watch Top Chef on Bravo, and I've got Food Network programmed on my channel changer. I love to cook, and I love to see what real chefs do that I might be able to use in my own kitchen. Without slicing any digits with those amazing Santoku knives.

But back to the Housewives. Listen, it doesn't matter which city you select from the menu, you're going to get the same recipe. About a half dozen women who may or may not have been friends before they got on the show (they usually aren't friends after a few episodes). They ride everywhere in limousines, they have parties at spas, they spend a lot of time drinking at parties and meandering through the night life of whatever city they are from (sometimes having too much to drink).

They spend more money on plastic surgery than I spent on my kitchen renovation, and their bling budgets are maxed out. Few of them work real jobs, some of them spend some time with philanthropic endeavors, mostly to make them feel less guilty about the botox and the bling. Some of them have faux careers, like the one housewife in Atlanta who's trying to start a singing career, but she can't carry a tune in a bucket. But she has money for voice lessons and studio time. Thankfully she has a lot of money for studio time because those sound engineers are earning every penny.

I don't think any of the six cities has a group of housewives who are not catty, controversial, jealous or petty. Or spoiled or bratty. Subtract the botox and collagen injections and implants and I'm not sure any of the housewives really have any assets that anyone would be particularly interested in.

But here's the kicker. On a talk show, and I don't know which housewife it was nor from which city she was, but she made the most outrageous statement. She told the interviewer that she didn't know what all the fuss was about. She said the that Housewives in the shows are not the exception, they are the norm. Really?

Then I have a question for all the Housewives from all the shows. What does a gallon of milk cost?

P.S. Don't forget to tell your daughter that you love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment